- Pick one of the two options – Juvenile Justice or Corrections.
- Answer the questions posed in the option.
- Write a memo to the legislators named in the option making sure of the following
- You may format it as you like but it must be clear who you’re writing the memo to, for what purpose, and when you did it.
- It must have a normal 12 point font
- 1 inch margins
- Be single-spaced
- Be no longer than 3 pages
- Be free of grammatical errors
- Save your document in Word. Please note that if you are using a Mac that there have been issues with Canvas accepting Word documents created by a Mac. It is your responsibility to upload the appropriate version of Mac Word to Canvas.
- You will be graded on how well you explain your memo’s data display (i.e., graph or table) and how well these data displays answer the policy questions.
- There must be a data display in your memo.
- Any 3-d graphs will result in a zero for the project.
Assignment 6 – Corrections The Montana Legislature’s Interim Justice Committee wants to know if the Montana Department of Corrections has final information regarding the success or failure of an early conditional release program done in 2005. Specifically, they want to know how did the early conditional release offenders compare to traditional release offenders with regard to demographics and recidivism including how many were returned to prison, how many returned with a new conviction, and how long it took to fail?. State Senator Frederick Milquetoast and Representative Fitzpatrick Mahoney have asked the DOC for a memo updating them on these matters, and you, as the Chief Analyst for the DOC, have been tasked with creating this memo. Using the most recent data, your staff created the following raw table that summarizes the data for the memo. Variable TPC (n = 2,365) CRC (n = 1,589) TPP (n = 1,250) CRP(n = 464) Male 82.2% 74.9% 89.0% 83.0% Mean Release Age 35.0 34.1 37.6 34.1 Native American 16.7% 16.7% 15.9% 23.9% Total Returned 34.2% 37.7% 35.3% 25.2% Returned New Conviction 5.5% 5.3% 5.4% 5.8% Mean Days to Failure 284.6 221.5 288.8 226.7 Median Days to Failure 197 184 206 155 TPC = Traditional Parole from Community, CRC = Conditional Release from Community TPP = Traditional Parole from Prison, CRP = Conditional Release from Prison Write a formal summary of your findings following the Assignment 6 guidelines using the appropriate charts or tables to answer the questions regarding the demographic and recidivism statistics. Do not simply copy and paste the above table – you must create something new.